Thursday, May 18, 2017
CPL's Top Ten List of Team Building Activities|
Company culture is the personality of an organization. Every company has one, whether it was created intentionally or developed organically over time. Our company culture is reflected in how we approach our work, how we collaborate and how we design our office environment. It's baked into our hiring decisions, benefit packages and client relationships. At CPL, we've also developed a set of core values that reflect our company culture, these include: Integrity, Collaboration, Inspiration, Ingenuity, Family, and Fun.
One of the ways that we bolster our company culture is through team building and a healthy dose of Fun (we take fun seriously as a core value). You could say that CPL is on the work hard-play hard team. We have seen the power of play strengthen camaraderie and break down bureaucratic and personal barriers to communication. Team building activities allow our dedicated staff to recharge and build relationships through common experiences.
Below is CPL’s top ten list of team building activities, all of which have been successful in providing realistic experiences that empower individuals to contribute to common goals.
1. Corporate Curling
Social, strategic and super fun, curling is not only a great team bonding activity, but also an excellent collaboration exercise. The great Canadian sport encourages strategy, team communication, problem solving and sportsmanship as everyone works together to make every shot. Some engineers in our Rochester office had the opportunity to participate in a curling event and had a blast working together to learn the basics of delivery (throwing), sweeping and skipping. No curling experience is necessary to take part in a corporate curling event. All you need is a clean pair of sneakers, comfortable attire, and a “can-do” attitude.
2. CPL Shotgun Picnic
Every year, members of CPL’s Charlotte, NC, Greenville, NC, Woodstock, GA and Suwanee, GA offices gear up for the annual CPL Shotgun Picnic. With no formal training necessary, this event gives staff the opportunity to learn the safe and correct way to shoot while spending quality time with their colleagues. It’s a fun, safe and memorable instructional experience for all who participate.
3. CPL Golf Tournaments
One of the most popular team building events at CPL is the annual Northern Golf Tournament. Every year, staff from our New York offices are invited to engage in some friendly competition out on the golf course. With all golfing skill levels accepted, this hole in one experience helps colleagues build interpersonal relationships with one another as teams of 4 compete in a golf scramble.
4. Pop Up Design Charrettes
One of the most productive ways to encourage team building while still getting work done is scheduling time to incorporate design team charrettes. Recently, some members of our Buffalo office got together for a design charrette to jump start ideas and concepts for an upcoming Master Plan. This laid-back planning session was an excellent way for team members to step away from their desks, offer up ideas, give feedback and inspire one another.
5. Waffle Wednesdays
Want to make Wednesday morning’s just a little bit sweeter for your employees? Then Waffle Wednesdays may be the perfect activity. Members of our Suwanee, GA office started this weekly tradition as an easy way to bring individuals together from different disciplines and enjoy a delicious breakfast together as a team.
6. Escape Rooms
If you’re interested in a truly unique, interactive and adventurous team building experience, then our Charlotte office has a great recommendation for you. Recently, the team visited Exit Strategy where they were split into two teams and had 60 minutes to escape from a themed room. The event was a huge success in that it forced teammates to work together, communicate effectively, delegate tasks and think creatively to escape in time.
7. Twilight Skiing / Snowboarding
An activity that’s guaranteed to stimulate, challenge and detach you from your everyday work setting, corporate skiing and/or snowboarding events can be excellent team building experiences. Earlier this year, staff from our Rochester, Jamestown and Buffalo offices were invited to participate in an evening of twilight skiing/snowboarding at Bristol Mountain. Participants got to kill two birds with one stone as they spent time spent time exercising out on the slopes while making lasting memories with their colleagues.
8. iFly Indoor Skydiving
Members of CPL’s Newburgh office got to enjoy a fun and unique office outing at iFly Indoor Skydiving, where employees were “blown away” (literally) by the opportunity to freefall in a vertical wind tunnel. This exhilarating activity was encouraging for the Newburgh team as employees experienced human flight and cheered each other on.
9. Lasertron & Cyber Sport
If you’re looking for an activity that improves communication, maintains motivation and builds trust, then look no further. Last year, members of our staff came together at Lasertron in Henrietta, NY to play in one of the facility’s 9,000 s.f. multi-level laser tag arenas and then enjoy a highly competitive game one of the facility's infamous cyber sport courts. Employees had a blast participating in each immersive gaming experience and even left the event feeling like they got a work out in (players can burn up to 1,000 calories when playing two sessions of Lasertron).
10. Euchre Tournament
What better way to bond with your colleagues than to raise money for an organization in need? As part of CPL’s fundraising efforts for the American Heart Association, our Rochester staff participated in an Euchre Tournament at the office. This fun card game was an awesome way for co-workers to take a break from their busy schedules and work together towards a common goal. The tournament successfully raised over $400!
As our Chief Culture Officer, Kathy is responsible for supporting CPL's intentional culture and branding efforts. In addition, she serves in a leadership role as a Principal Associate and CPLworks teams. Outside the office, Kathy serves as a member of the Board of Education at the Marion Central School District. She also enjoys reading, gardening and watching soccer games with her family.
- All ( 114 )
- People ( 53 )
- Fun ( 43 )
- Architecture ( 30 )
- Community ( 23 )
- Engineering ( 20 )
- Healthcare ( 14 )
- Academic ( 12 )
- K-12 ( 10 )
- Construction ( 10 )
- Civil ( 9 )
- Municipal ( 9 )
- Higher Education ( 4 )
- Landscape ( 3 )
- Transportation ( 3 )
- Interior Design ( 3 )
- Planning ( 3 )
- Electrical ( 2 )
- Mechanical ( 1 )
- Public Works ( 1 )
- Acute Care ( 1 )
- Religious ( 1 )
- In the News: Revving Up the Growth
- Professional Exam Spotlights
- In the News: Michael Mistriner Ready to Lead Clark Patterson Lee's Buffalo Office
- In the News: How to Create a Culture for Retaining Talent
- CPL Gives Portville CSD's Fitness Center a Makeover
- CPL's Top Ten List of Team Building Activities
- Hands-On Experience Meets Meaningful Mentorship
- A Groundbreaking Healthcare Event
- In the News: New Approach to Construction Catching On Here
- CPL Welcomes New Principal / Vice President in Buffalo and New Director of Communications in Rochester
- Columbus Technical College: World-Class Welding Lab Renovation
- Landscape Architect Among First to Earn SITES Certification
- CPL Breaks Ground at Wayne Memorial Hospital
- Catching Up with Dan Nead
- A Day in the Life of a Marketing Coordinator
- Geneva High School Athletic Complex
- In the News: Clark Patterson Lee Has Designs on Growth
- Introducing Our Chief Culture Officer
- RRH Sands-Constellation Center for Critical Care
- CPL Welcomes Robert Comery
- Northside Drive Pedestrian Bridge
- Clark Patterson Lee Moves Home to Newburgh
- CPL Wins 2 APWA Awards
- CPL Welcomes Anne Dafchik
- The Rise and Fall of the Detroit Community
- Driving Design Forward in Woodstock
- LEED Silver Certification Awarded to the Center for Puppetry Arts Addition
- Green Up Your Day of Giving Thanks
- Licensed to Fly Drones
- A Groundbreaking Recreational Event
- Get to Know Josh Sauve
- Dutchess Day School Music Education Building
- What Happened to Detroit Schools?
- Empty Supermarket Turned State-of-the-Art Heath Center
- Transformational Master Plan is Approved
- Get to Know Laura Licitra
- CPL Binghamton's Local Food Guide
- Discover Your Potential at CPL
- A Day in the Life of Mechanical Engineer, Rich Morelle
- CPL Welcomes Reggie Scales
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work at CPL
- City of Kingston Project Update
- Community Hospitals Meet Future Healthcare Needs
- The Hudson Valley All-Stars
- Get to Know Amanda Brookins
- UMMC Cancer Center Completed
- Paul Hedin: Architect, Community Leader & Two-Time Cancer Survivor
- Introducing Enscape
- Atlanta Motorsports Park
- Energy Performance Contracting
- Building Homes, Community & Hope
- City of Woodstock Project Update
- Mercy Hospital of Buffalo ICU Expansion
- Beers, Engineers and Concrete Canoes
- CPL Welcomes Laurence Carty
- Same Great Service, New Local Office
- Newark-Wayne Community Hospital Breaks Ground
- CPL's Women to Watch
- The Best Days Were in PreSchool
- Celebrating Construction Managers
- Solving Problems on a Macro Level
- Get to Know Joseph Powell
- Unite North Main
- Smart Tools Lead to Smart Designs
- Making an Impact
- Caldwell UNC Health Care Breaks Ground
- The RITE Project at the Right Time
- Get to Know Haley Wehner
- Dalton State College Health Professions Building
- Stepping it Up in the Workplace
- Walking the Sustainable Walk
- CPL's Todd Liebert Writes the Rules
- Inspiration From Our Communities
- CPL Launches New Website and Logo
- An Intentional Culture
- CPL Welcomes Domenic Emilio
- IPD: HOW it Works and WHY it Matters
- What is Architecture?
- CPL Welcomes Susan Carpenter
- CPL Gives Back: Roger Vanderbrook
- Designing a "Ribbiting" Zoo Experience
- Licensure Recognitions
- Congratulations to the South Carolina State Museum!
- CPL Tours URMC Golisano Children's Hospital
- CPL Welcomes Jason Suss
- Engineering Solutions One Creek at a Time
- Progress In Orange County
- Celebrating Our People
- CPL Today: Celebrating 40 Years!
- Ben Deuel Honored by AIANYS
- Orange You Glad You Work With Us?
- CPL Welcomes Larry Genn
- Distinctive Designs for Worship
- History 101: CPL 10 Years Ago
- CPL Welcomes Melanie Anderson
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Phil Clark
- CPL Welcomes Dan Insinna
- History 101: CPL 40 Years Ago
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Rick Henry
- CPL Welcomes John Hall
- Christmas in July
- Project V.
- Transformations in Orange County
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Don Lee
- History 101: CPL 20 Years Ago
- CPL Celebrates Groundbreaking Design
- Summer 2015 at CPL
- More Than Just A Summer Internship
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: John Patterson
- Orange County Team Celebrates Project Milestone
- History 101: CPL 30 Years Ago