Monday, July 11, 2016
CPL Welcomes Laurence Carty|
- What’s your favorite Keurig flavor?
"That’s an easy one! It’s got to be Green Mountain – Dark Magic."
- Before working at CPL, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
"During the summer breaks while I was a student at DIT - Dublin, I spent my summers working as a machine operator for gasket factory in my home town Sligo. It wasn’t a fun job, the machine I worked on was called a shot-blast. It would freeze the gaskets at -100c in a big drum and blast them with tiny metal pellets, which removed any excess rubber. It was like a giant washing machine the size of a decent living room. Sometimes when I had to go in the room at the back of the machine, I had to wait a few minutes to allow warm air into the space as the air inside would freeze and end up as a thick fog floating just a couple of feet above the floor. That was about as unusual as it got for me!"
- Tell us about your time working for Edinburgh Napier University in Scotland.
"I really enjoyed my time working for the University. I was a research associate so I tested materials in the lab and analyzed the results. It was kind of like being a detective, always trying to figure things out and understand and explain the processes."
- In your opinion, where’s the best lunch spot around the Rochester office?
"I’m not a fussy eater, so when I’m hungry, any place that serves anything remotely edible is good for me!"
- When you’re not at CPL, what are you typically doing?
"I’m usually spending time with my wife, Sara, or working on finishing my research degree. I also really enjoy taking walks after work, I find that very relaxing. Another hobby of mine is astronomy, so from time to time I’ll be in the back yard looking at planets and stars. Right now, I have to put up with large binoculars but I'm hoping to get a decent telescope fairly soon."
- What’s the most important thing you’ve learned in your career?
"Architecture is constantly evolving so it’s important to stay up to date on the latest information and trends. But for me, right now the most important thing I’m learning is Revit. I’ve spent almost all of my career using AutoCAD so making the switch to Revit is a challenge, but I’m enjoying it so far!"
- Give a shoutout to someone! Who has been the most influential and/or helpful person to you at CPL? Why?
"There are several people I need to thank: Madalyn Lillie, Ben Deuel and Erin Powers. All of whom, have been extremely helpful and patient as I get to grips with Revit. So thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I also want to thank Kory Hunsinger for her assistance during my first few days while I settled into my new job."
Additionally, CPL would also like to extend a warm welcome to the following employees who joined our firm during the month of June!
Richard Waite, RLA, LEED AP
Landscape Architect (Rochester, NY)
Senior Plumbing Designer (Greenville, SC)
Project Engineer (Woodstock, GA)
Human Resource Benefits Coordinator (Rochester, NY)
Whether you are just beginning your career or you are looking to advance to the next level, we encourage you to explore the opportunities available and discover your potential with CPL.
Haley Wehner recently joined the team at CPL as Marketing Coordinator with 6+ years of experience. Raised by two architects, Haley has always had a strong connection to the Rochester architecture and engineering community. After completing a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts she discovered being a Marketing Coordinator was the bridge to connect her interest in architecture and 2D design. Haley spends most of her time working on proposals, maintaining the CPL website and graphic design. In her spare time she enjoys cooking, going hiking with her boyfriend and their dog, knitting and throwing pottery.
- All ( 110 )
- People ( 49 )
- Fun ( 43 )
- Architecture ( 27 )
- Community ( 23 )
- Engineering ( 19 )
- Healthcare ( 14 )
- Academic ( 12 )
- K-12 ( 10 )
- Construction ( 10 )
- Civil ( 9 )
- Municipal ( 9 )
- Higher Education ( 4 )
- Landscape ( 3 )
- Transportation ( 3 )
- Planning ( 3 )
- Electrical ( 2 )
- Interior Design ( 2 )
- Mechanical ( 1 )
- Public Works ( 1 )
- Acute Care ( 1 )
- Religious ( 1 )
- CPL Gives Portville CSD's Fitness Center a Makeover
- CPL's Top Ten List of Team Building Activities
- Hands-On Experience Meets Meaningful Mentorship
- A Groundbreaking Healthcare Event
- In the News: New Approach to Construction Catching On Here
- CPL Welcomes New Principal / Vice President in Buffalo and New Director of Communications in Rochester
- Columbus Technical College: World-Class Welding Lab Renovation
- Landscape Architect Among First to Earn SITES Certification
- CPL Breaks Ground at Wayne Memorial Hospital
- Catching Up with Dan Nead
- A Day in the Life of a Marketing Coordinator
- Geneva High School Athletic Complex
- In the News: Clark Patterson Lee Has Designs on Growth
- Introducing Our Chief Culture Officer
- RRH Sands-Constellation Center for Critical Care
- CPL Welcomes Robert Comery
- Northside Drive Pedestrian Bridge
- Clark Patterson Lee Moves Home to Newburgh
- CPL Wins 2 APWA Awards
- CPL Welcomes Anne Dafchik
- The Rise and Fall of the Detroit Community
- Driving Design Forward in Woodstock
- LEED Silver Certification Awarded to the Center for Puppetry Arts Addition
- Green Up Your Day of Giving Thanks
- Licensed to Fly Drones
- A Groundbreaking Recreational Event
- Get to Know Josh Sauve
- Dutchess Day School Music Education Building
- What Happened to Detroit Schools?
- Empty Supermarket Turned State-of-the-Art Heath Center
- Transformational Master Plan is Approved
- Get to Know Laura Licitra
- CPL Binghamton's Local Food Guide
- Discover Your Potential at CPL
- A Day in the Life of Mechanical Engineer, Rich Morelle
- CPL Welcomes Reggie Scales
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work at CPL
- City of Kingston Project Update
- Community Hospitals Meet Future Healthcare Needs
- The Hudson Valley All-Stars
- Get to Know Amanda Brookins
- UMMC Cancer Center Completed
- Paul Hedin: Architect, Community Leader & Two-Time Cancer Survivor
- Introducing Enscape
- Atlanta Motorsports Park
- Energy Performance Contracting
- Building Homes, Community & Hope
- City of Woodstock Project Update
- Mercy Hospital of Buffalo ICU Expansion
- Beers, Engineers and Concrete Canoes
- CPL Welcomes Laurence Carty
- Same Great Service, New Local Office
- Newark-Wayne Community Hospital Breaks Ground
- CPL's Women to Watch
- The Best Days Were in PreSchool
- Celebrating Construction Managers
- Solving Problems on a Macro Level
- Get to Know Joseph Powell
- Unite North Main
- Smart Tools Lead to Smart Designs
- Making an Impact
- Caldwell UNC Health Care Breaks Ground
- The RITE Project at the Right Time
- Get to Know Haley Wehner
- Dalton State College Health Professions Building
- Stepping it Up in the Workplace
- Walking the Sustainable Walk
- CPL's Todd Liebert Writes the Rules
- Inspiration From Our Communities
- CPL Launches New Website and Logo
- An Intentional Culture
- CPL Welcomes Domenic Emilio
- IPD: HOW it Works and WHY it Matters
- What is Architecture?
- CPL Welcomes Susan Carpenter
- CPL Gives Back: Roger Vanderbrook
- Designing a "Ribbiting" Zoo Experience
- Licensure Recognitions
- Congratulations to the South Carolina State Museum!
- CPL Tours URMC Golisano Children's Hospital
- CPL Welcomes Jason Suss
- Engineering Solutions One Creek at a Time
- Progress In Orange County
- Celebrating Our People
- CPL Today: Celebrating 40 Years!
- Ben Deuel Honored by AIANYS
- Orange You Glad You Work With Us?
- CPL Welcomes Larry Genn
- Distinctive Designs for Worship
- History 101: CPL 10 Years Ago
- CPL Welcomes Melanie Anderson
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Phil Clark
- CPL Welcomes Dan Insinna
- History 101: CPL 40 Years Ago
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Rick Henry
- CPL Welcomes John Hall
- Christmas in July
- Project V.
- Transformations in Orange County
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Don Lee
- History 101: CPL 20 Years Ago
- CPL Celebrates Groundbreaking Design
- Summer 2015 at CPL
- More Than Just A Summer Internship
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: John Patterson
- Orange County Team Celebrates Project Milestone
- History 101: CPL 30 Years Ago