Thursday, March 16, 2017
A Day in the Life of a Marketing Coordinator|
On the surface, many people know the individuals at CPL to be architects, engineers, planners and industry specialists spanning multiple disciplines. While these professionals certainly make up the bulk of our workforce, CPL also employs experts in marketing, communications, graphic design, finance, human resources, information technology and administrative support. Collectively, these in-house experts have the necessary skillsets and experiences to help push our firm along a continued path of exponential growth.
Working out of our Rochester office, Haley Wehner is one of CPL’s talented marketing coordinators. She spends much of her time developing creative, written responses to RFP’s and RFQ’s, and is also involved with the execution of various in-bound marketing initiatives for the firm. Recently, however, Haley’s passion for photography was recognized and she now adds in-house photography to her list of responsibilities.
What led you to pursue a career in marketing in the A/E industry?
Having been raised by two architects in Rochester, I’ve always had a strong connection to our local architecture and engineering community. As a child, I was always reaching for whatever was on my parent's drafting boards, flipping through architecture books and drawing with Prismacolor pencils. A typical conversation at the Wehner family’s dinner table was either about projects that my parents were working on, business development opportunities, town board meetings or what roof my mom was on that day. Naturally, I became interested in architecture, and focused my energies on the creative arts that complement the work of our architects and engineers.
Before I officially entered the industry, I studied Fine Art at Purchase College. During summer and winter breaks, my experience with Adobe software opened the door to an internship in the marketing department at the A/E firm my father worked at. While that experience started out as mere summer job, as time progressed, I discovered that being a marketing coordinator in this industry was the perfect bridge to connect my interest in architecture and 2D design.
What does a typical day look like for you?
I do a lot of things. While much of my day to day work is usually based around developing proposals and qualifications packages for many of our municipal, higher education and healthcare clients, another portion of my day is spent on creating relevant content for our social media platforms. I also work closely with our in-house Graphic Designer, Andy Schmitz, on new visual graphics to include in proposals, interview presentations and awards submissions.
Most recently, I’ve become the company’s in-house photographer, taking professional headshots of employees as well as architectural photos of CPL projects. (See examples of Haley's work below)
(Pictured left to right: Architectural Designer, Jason Streb; Interior Designer, Susan Clark; Structural Engineer, Brian Cooney)
(Pictured left to right: Architect, Emilio de Leon; Architect, Rachel Guillot; Civil Engineer, Dave Hastings)
How did your role as a Marketing Coordinator morph into one that allows you to explore and express your passion for photography?
As a student, I studied large format photography (see examples below). Working with a view camera exposed me to a new way of making photographs and helped me better understand architectural photography. In short, ever since college, I’ve always had an interest in pursuing photography on my own, but didn’t have the opportunity to do so until I was at CPL. When the firm was interested in getting new professional headshots for our staff, I felt that I had the knowledge and experience necessary to get the job done.
So far, it’s been rewarding in more ways than one having the opportunity to create a new bank of employee and project images. Not only do I get to fulfill one of my favorite passions at work, I also get to play a role in expressing who we are as firm; fun, sophisticated and warm people who truly love what we do.
(Large format photography from Haley's personal collection)
You’ve been working with the firm for almost a full year now. How did you end up at CPL and why do you choose to stay?
Clark Patterson Lee found me! Years ago, my mom worked here in the St. Paul Street building with John Patterson, just before I was born. It was around this time last year that I was looking for potential job opportunities in the area, and CPL was on the top of my list. Since the firm was in need of marketing support, I had a feeling it would be a perfect match.
When I officially joined the marketing team, I knew I had made the right career move. What I didn’t know was how much this job was going to mean to me. The opportunities to be creative, pursue my passion, and work in a collaborative environment have made the decision to stay here a no brainer. The people here are all fabulous. We work hard and have fun at the same time. What more could you want in a job?
What’s been one of your favorite at-work experiences?
So far, my favorite at-work experience was getting to meet more of our CPL family while traveling to our Charlotte, NC and Greenville, SC offices. CPL does a great job connecting employees from each of our office locations so that we can all feel like a big team.
What’s one of the most important things you’ve learned thus far in your career?
Patience and time management are two key ingredients if you want to be a successful marketing coordinator. Last minute deadlines come with the territory, so it’s essential to stay calm and manage your time wisely. Coordinators are also constantly juggling multiple tasks at once, collecting information from various sources, and communicating with tons of different people. Personally, I love the fast-paced environment that I work in and I think the changing of tasks is one of the most fun parts of the job. It’s definitely never a dull day in CPL's marketing department!
Michelle is a Communications Coordinator responsible for developing written responses to RFP's & RFQ's, executing in-bound marketing initiatives, and managing the firm's public relations efforts. Michelle brings high energy, focus and advanced writing skills, which enables her to produce relevant content to inform, inspire and enhance the firm's value propositions. Outside the office, she enjoys boating, running and spending time with her friends and family.
- All ( 105 )
- People ( 47 )
- Fun ( 41 )
- Architecture ( 26 )
- Community ( 23 )
- Engineering ( 17 )
- Healthcare ( 13 )
- Academic ( 10 )
- Civil ( 9 )
- Municipal ( 9 )
- Construction ( 9 )
- K-12 ( 8 )
- Higher Education ( 4 )
- Landscape ( 3 )
- Transportation ( 3 )
- Planning ( 3 )
- Electrical ( 2 )
- Mechanical ( 1 )
- Public Works ( 1 )
- Interior Design ( 1 )
- Religious ( 1 )
- CPL Welcomes New Principal / Vice President in Buffalo and New Director of Communications in Rochester
- Columbus Technical College: World-Class Welding Lab Renovation
- Landscape Architect Among First to Earn SITES Certification
- CPL Breaks Ground at Wayne Memorial Hospital
- Catching Up with Dan Nead
- A Day in the Life of a Marketing Coordinator
- Geneva High School Athletic Complex
- In the News: Clark Patterson Lee Has Designs on Growth
- Introducing Our Chief Culture Officer
- RRH Sands-Constellation Center for Critical Care
- CPL Welcomes Robert Comery
- Northside Drive Pedestrian Bridge
- Clark Patterson Lee Moves Home to Newburgh
- CPL Wins 2 APWA Awards
- CPL Welcomes Anne Dafchik
- The Rise and Fall of the Detroit Community
- Driving Design Forward in Woodstock
- LEED Silver Certification Awarded to the Center for Puppetry Arts Addition
- Green Up Your Day of Giving Thanks
- Licensed to Fly Drones
- A Groundbreaking Recreational Event
- Get to Know Josh Sauve
- Dutchess Day School Music Education Building
- What Happened to Detroit Schools?
- Empty Supermarket Turned State-of-the-Art Heath Center
- Transformational Master Plan is Approved
- Get to Know Laura Licitra
- CPL Binghamton's Local Food Guide
- Discover Your Potential at CPL
- A Day in the Life of Mechanical Engineer, Rich Morelle
- CPL Welcomes Reggie Scales
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work at CPL
- City of Kingston Project Update
- Community Hospitals Meet Future Healthcare Needs
- The Hudson Valley All-Stars
- Get to Know Amanda Brookins
- UMMC Cancer Center Completed
- Paul Hedin: Architect, Community Leader & Two-Time Cancer Survivor
- Introducing Enscape
- Atlanta Motorsports Park
- Energy Performance Contracting
- Building Homes, Community & Hope
- City of Woodstock Project Update
- Mercy Hospital of Buffalo ICU Expansion
- Beers, Engineers and Concrete Canoes
- CPL Welcomes Laurence Carty
- Same Great Service, New Local Office
- Newark-Wayne Community Hospital Breaks Ground
- CPL's Women to Watch
- The Best Days Were in PreSchool
- Celebrating Construction Managers
- Solving Problems on a Macro Level
- Get to Know Joseph Powell
- Unite North Main
- Smart Tools Lead to Smart Designs
- Making an Impact
- Caldwell UNC Health Care Breaks Ground
- The RITE Project at the Right Time
- Get to Know Haley Wehner
- Dalton State College Health Professions Building
- Stepping it Up in the Workplace
- Walking the Sustainable Walk
- CPL's Todd Liebert Writes the Rules
- Inspiration From Our Communities
- CPL Launches New Website and Logo
- An Intentional Culture
- CPL Welcomes Domenic Emilio
- IPD: HOW it Works and WHY it Matters
- What is Architecture?
- CPL Welcomes Susan Carpenter
- CPL Gives Back: Roger Vanderbrook
- Designing a "Ribbiting" Zoo Experience
- Licensure Recognitions
- Congratulations to the South Carolina State Museum!
- CPL Tours URMC Golisano Children's Hospital
- CPL Welcomes Jason Suss
- Engineering Solutions One Creek at a Time
- Progress In Orange County
- Celebrating Our People
- CPL Today: Celebrating 40 Years!
- Ben Deuel Honored by AIANYS
- Orange You Glad You Work With Us?
- CPL Welcomes Larry Genn
- Distinctive Designs for Worship
- History 101: CPL 10 Years Ago
- CPL Welcomes Melanie Anderson
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Phil Clark
- CPL Welcomes Dan Insinna
- History 101: CPL 40 Years Ago
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Rick Henry
- CPL Welcomes John Hall
- Christmas in July
- Project V.
- Transformations in Orange County
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: Don Lee
- History 101: CPL 20 Years Ago
- CPL Celebrates Groundbreaking Design
- Summer 2015 at CPL
- More Than Just A Summer Internship
- A Conversation with CPL Leadership :: John Patterson
- Orange County Team Celebrates Project Milestone
- History 101: CPL 30 Years Ago